,

Tuesday, May 15, 2012

I don't look like me anymore!

I believe that life has a way of cutting us down to size. I can see that I used to be a thin little thing who couldn't understand why anyone had a weight problem, I wouldn't have admitted to it, but I am afraid it was true. Well, I am one of those with too much weight having taken up residence on my body. It embarrasses me, it disgusts me, but I am apparently not strong enough to do something about it. I am sure most do not know that I have an illness that requires me to take steroids to live and that they have finally destroyed my metabolism, and I have a thyroid disorder, all creating a perfect storm for weight gain. And I have to add menopause! I am not happy with myself. But am I ready to get serious about doing something about it?

So, those of you who have been diagnosed with Addison's Disease and have seen a big change in your body and looks, it happens to many of us at some point. The sad thing is it happens to many newly diagnosed patients and not only are they struggling to feel better, they see a rapid weight gain. Of course many times there has been a large weight loss before diagnosis and you need to gain back the lost weight but it doesn't stop...and is soon way out of control.  I took steroids for years without being over weight but then things changed! Why? Probably age and hormones affecting the metabolism. Doesn't help much to tell myself this...I want to be the thin me again!

And when friends make unkind remarks or fail to recognize you...that really wounds, doesn't it? So, there can be a real and troubling change to the appearance of those with Addison's, which strikes at our core! You are not alone when this happens...and of course it is much more important to feel well and take our medicines in order to achieve this wellness, but it does seem to add insult to injury when the steroids we require affect us so.

Don't let it change the inner you! You are still the same person you were before the steroids. Now, I agree, that is not as much comfort as losing the weight but be patient and happy with the person facing you in the mirror each day. It will get better with diet and exercise. Try a lower carb and higher protein diet with no white foods and less sugar. I personally have made the move away from artificial sweeteners so that means I am eating more sugar but I feel it is better for me...you just have to think portion control! That's my big obstacle! I love to eat! And for most of my life could eat whatever I chose and as much as I wanted. Well, that day is over and I am having trouble coming to grips with it. Denial, really! But I have to take responsibility for my situation and make the changes needed.

Let's not let Addison's win!

6 Comments:

Blogger Addisons Disease Daily said...

Amen!! This is a whole new page in my life too! My body is literally changing into a shape that I have never seen before. I am trying to find peace with my reflection, while at the same time doing what I can to make some positive changes in my diet. Sometimes I feel so discouraged that when I grab those extra cupcakes or portions I hear myself saying that "I don't care." Truthfully, I do care, and I totally agree with you that Addison's can't win. Time to put on the gloves:-)

11:48 AM  
Blogger NJO said...

I tell myself I should start eating more veggies for snacks...right after polishing off a huge amount of dark chocolate! I feel so angry at myself but fall right back into the same behavior the next day! I have no patience so I want to be able to just grab something and eat...and that is not good because the chocolate is tight there...taunting me!

12:20 PM  
Blogger Addisons Disease Daily said...

ME TOO!!! I read somewhere that we crave chocolate because our bodies are deficient in magnesium (and zinc I think because you need the zinc to absorb the magnesium) I started taking a magnesium supplement...it seems to be improving this week. Choco beast appears to be on a leash, but time will tell. Check out the following link:
http://heartofwisdom.com/blog/are-you-getting-enough-magnesium/

1:02 PM  
Blogger NJO said...

Well I have taken magnesium for years and zinc, as well! But I , too, have read it is the magnesium we are craving. But the chocolate lowers BP so maybe it is helping and not just putting pounds on! Oh, I realize it is adding the pounds , just trying to find something positive!

1:14 PM  
Blogger Addisons Disease Daily said...

At least it's dark chocolate:-)

1:18 PM  
Blogger Lana said...

All of this is very interesting. I've been told, off and on, for years, that we do need to take a complete magnesium supplement along with complete calcium supplements. I'm guilty of taking it for extended periods of time and then stopping. Starting, Stopping. Augh.

By the way, do you know how to turn off the robot check for us to make a comment? It makes it more difficult to comment, but your spam box should still catch near 100% of spam, I just empty the spam box regularly and have the robot check part of the comment process turned off. I'm able to get many more comments since it was turned off. I had to try two times to get this to post...have a hard time reading their squiggly letters.

Onward with more reading Lana

5:22 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home