,

Thursday, June 24, 2010

Vitamin D...are you deficient?

Due to the steroids those with Addison's Disease or Adrenal Insufficiency must take we are at an increased risk to develop osteoporosis. It is very important that you consume calcium rich foods and in some cases take calcium supplements, as well as Vitamin D. Vitamin D deficiency is becoming more prevalent so it is a good idea to have your levels checked. As we are being more careful of sun exposure we are increasingly becoming Vitamin D deficient.

The upper tolerable intake level recommended by the FDA in the United States is 4000 IU.* The best form is Vitamin D3 which is the same as the body makes from sun exposure. A few minutes of sun exposure on non sunscreen protected skin daily will usually supply all the Vitamin D needed. But those living in colder climates, where less sunshine occurs are at more risk for deficiency, as well as those who use sunscreen or are not outside regularly.

Get your levels checked! Be sure of your levels and your needs.
* This post has been edited due to the recent new recommendations from the FDA.



7 Comments:

Blogger Lana said...

I have had Addison's Disease for near 10 years now and also had bouts of being Vitamin D deficient. Your blog is fascinating. I have been struggling with my blog to write about the battles and triumphs I've experienced, day by day, as an avid journalist, with Addison's. I'm finding that all of us Addisonian's really need to be in contact...Lana C. www.findinglana.blogspot.com Come by and visit. I'll be coming back here to keep reading. Keep it up. Thank you for your posts!

10:38 PM  
Blogger NJO said...

Lana, thanks for sharing your experience with vitamin D deficiency...and Addisonians do need to support one another and learn about how to care for our disease.

Thanks,
Jo

6:33 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Right after diagnosis it was discovered I was very low on D. I had an RX for 20,000 iu daily, then went to to twice a week, and since that time I've been good. My biggest setback has always been low potassium (I am secondary)so I really try to eat a lot of bananas!
Lana, I'm glad we found you...I will be stopping by to read your blog soon. There aren't too many of us Addys' out there that blog!
I have a blog but don't always blog about my illness. Please stop by!
mo
http://moisbloggingithink@wordpress.com

2:56 PM  
Blogger NJO said...

Hi, Mo, thanks so much for stopping in...I take 2000 IUs per day of Vitamin D3. I feel better for taking it.

Jo

6:25 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Hi, newly diagnosed with Addisons, I'm trying to find where I can obtain a medical information cards.
Thanks
Colin Jackson

12:38 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Hi, newly diagnosed with Addisons, I'm trying to find where I can obtain a medical information cards.
Thanks
Colin Jackson

12:39 AM  
Blogger NJO said...

Here is a link to a printable ID card.

http://www.medids.com/free-id.php#.V7yIKno8KrU

Also you can make a list of medicines you take, diagnoses, allergies, etc. and carry it with you.

If you do Facebook I have a Addison's Disease Group.

Here is the lonk to the group:
https://www.facebook.com/groups/195692017452859/

10:35 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home