,

Monday, May 28, 2012

Weather is getting hot...

Those of us with Addison's Disease have or will learned to be cautious when exposed to high temperatures. We just don't handle heavy sweating and salt and potassium loss. It is a balancing act to keep the two in the right ratio...drinking too much without enough salt and we flush ourselves out. If we are taking fludrocortisone this helps to retain sodium but can lead to low potassium. Some have to really watch the potassium foods they consume as they tend to have high potassium. As I stated: it is a balancing  act! Not always easy...but necessary to live well with Addison's. 

I love warm weather but I can't take the heat! So I stay inside a lot! Or time your outside activities to a cooler time of day. It's all about compromise and knowing what your body is telling you. Getting overheated can be very serious for us so take measures to protect yourself from the heat of summer. 

Drink lots of fluids and get enough salt to insure you enjoy your summer! And if you need to keep your potassium levels up, a banana or tomato can be a good option there.

Have a great summer!

6 Comments:

Blogger Addisons Disease Daily said...

It is hot, isn't it? I'm thinking we may just be more active in the mornings and evenings. Lazy days of summer, for sure!!

12:32 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Jo, I hate the heat too! (I think I mention that all the time!) Still taking my florinef, feeling better and keeping my fingers crossed! Keep cool my friend.
mo

9:09 PM  
Blogger Addisons Disease Daily said...

Jo, how are you doing? I was just thinking of you the other day & wanted to send a "hello" your way.

Alicia

7:54 AM  
Blogger NJO said...

Alicia,
I am doing fairly well with the heat...since I stay inside a lot!

I have been stressed as I lost my 16 year old cat Sunday. I was understanding it was coming but it happened quickly. I do miss her.

Thanks for asking.
Jo

11:38 AM  
Blogger HollyM said...

Here, it is still l pretty cool. We're getting a heat pump put in thus week so it will provide cool air this summer. Also, I stay I when it really hot outside.

7:15 PM  
Blogger NJO said...

Enjoy the cool air your heat pump will provide! Sounds like you are getting a head start on managing the heat this summner.

9:20 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home